Re: GDB Version 5.3., December 2001

Andrew Cagney wrote:

[switch to gdb mailing list]

Just FYI, the (version 9, December 2001) refers to the date of the last revision of the printed manual.

I'm pretty sure that the version/date are controlled/updated as determined by GNU Press but I'll double check this.
GNU Press just does what we tell them to do.  I've never much liked
the scheme of separate edition numbers and dates; the manual evolves
continuously, not in some great big orgy of periodic editing like a
calculus textbook or something.  Oddly enough, while GDB and Emacs
manuals have editions, GCC and Texinfo manuals do not.

I bet no one would care if we dropped the edition and edition
date entirely.

Stan

Andrew