Re: relocation of shared libs not based at 0

"Kris Warkentin" <kewarken@qnx.com> writes:
>Can anyone with more knowledge than I enlighten me as to a) whether it is
>proper to allow shared objects to be non zero-based and b) a better way to
>do this.  I looked at putting it in solib-svr4.c but I don't have access to
>the bfd in there, at least in svr4_relocate_section_addresses().

While I cannot speak for gdb requirements, I can say
that there is no requirement in generic-SYSV that shared
objects start at a zero address.

SGI IRIX (which is SYSV based) has never used zero as the base
address for shared objects, but always pre-assigns a non-zero
base address at static link time (intending that the shared
object will start up faster if it can run at that address).

Regards
David B. Anderson davea@sgi.com http://reality.sgiweb.org/davea
[  "What could go wrong?"   -- Calvin  ]