Re: libgdb

> 1) Invoke GDB and parse the command line (emacs does this)
> 2) Invoke GDB's MI interpreter and write yourself an MI parser (Eclipse
> and Apple's tools for MacOS X do this)
> 3) Write your GUI using GDB's hooks and events (Insight does this)
>
> Obviously, #2 is the most desirably way to isolate yourselves from GDB
> changes. Unfortunately, MI is still a work in progress. (Of course, I'm
> still partial to #3 for speed.. ;-)

One advantage of method #1 or #2, used by GVD, is that GDB is a separate
process. This GDB process does not need to run on the same host as GVD.
Even if I'm debugging on a distant machine, I can run GVD on my local
machine, reducing tremendously the network traffic. Given that I live in
the west coast, and that most machines I work on are located in NY and
Paris, this is a definite plus.

I think GVD uses method #1, but I would recommend method #2 as the
output is most probably easier to parse.

--
Joel