Can't attach over NFS?

In gdb/testsuite/gdb.base/attach.exp, there is the following code:

    # Because we can't attach over nfs, copy binfile to /tmp/${binfile}.${pid}
    # and replace binfile with a symbolic link
    set pid [pid]
    exec /bin/cp -f ${binfile} /tmp/attach1.${pid}
    exec rm -f ${binfile}

Does anyone know of any system where this limitation actually holds?
This rigamarole is causing me some trouble, and I'd like to make the
code conditional, or (preferably) delete it.

We got attach.exp from the HP merge, which makes me suspect that it's
an HP problem, but this entire test is disabled on HPUX.