Re: how long should symbols remain LOC_UNRESOLVED?

In article <vt2vg6dupme.fsf@zenia.red-bean.com>, Jim Blandy
<jimb@redhat.com> writes:

Thanks for the explanation.

> Anyway, in the context of your question, it sounds like GDB is
> assuming that if it doesn't have debugging info that explicitly
> gives it the address of a static member, then it can take the static
> member's name, together with the name of its class, derive the
> variable's linker symbol's name, and then look that up in the
> minimal symbol table.

That's more or less it.  It's actually assuming that, if a symbol
turns up at all in the symbol table lookup, then that symbol must give
the correct value for the static member.  So it's not always bothering
to do the minimal symbol table lookup.

Anyways, I think I've got a fix now for this particular problem that
I'm happy with; I'll send it to gdb-patches shortly.

David Carlton
carlton@math.stanford.edu