problen with gdbserver

I am facing problem in doing remote debugging using gdb. When I run gdbserver at the target, it is not waiting for the host to connect.

for example when I run

target> gdbserver host:port binaryFile

I am getting gdb prompt directly.

at host
when I run gdb and give the following command
host> remote target target:port

I am getting the message
" target:port success"

Is there any problem in gdbserver or I am using different binary for gdbserver. Please give me some pointer regarding this (how adn where to get gdbserver binary). I have read the gdb manual and doing exactly what is written there.

I am using gdb and gdbserver version 5.0.

Can any one help me by replying where exactly is the problem.

Thanks in advance.