Re: cross targeted gdb and corefiles

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 06:24:53PM +0100, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
> > I am using a gdb built from a cvs snapshot from 4-29 that is i386 hosted and
> > ARM targeted.
> >
> > this gdb does not support reading arm cores. I would like to get a backtrace
> > for an arm failure (indeterminant - cannot set a breakpoint) without running
> > an arm native gdb (or running my application under gdbserver). Is that
> > possible??
>
> Not at present.
>

> > if not - is it a feature slated to be added to cross targeted gdb soon? I
> > know i run my application under gdbserver...
>
> Maybe.  Some targets can now do this.  Precisely which target OS are you
> using?

He's on GNU/Linux, IIRC...

Doing cross coredumps is trivial; I put all the BFD machinery in place
for a number of GNU/Linux targets, and others did it for the various
BSDs.  I'd post my ARM patches for this but I doubt even a line of them
applies any more after your extensive ARM cleanups.

The only thing you have to do is move supply_gregset and
supply_fpregset to the tdep file, and then link in corelow/core-regset
as target instead of nat objects.  This means a little bit of grubbing
about in target header files to copy out definitions for regsets, but
only a little.