This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: [RFC] Simplify SIMD registers
- From: "Martin M. Hunt" <hunt at redhat dot com>
- To: Elena Zannoni <ezannoni at redhat dot com>
- Cc: gdb at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 23:06:19 -0700 (PDT)
- Subject: Re: [RFC] Simplify SIMD registers
On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Elena Zannoni wrote:
> Now, I have concerns for platforms other than Altivec, that may have
> used a representation like the one I would like to abandon.
> I am talking about SSE regs on x86 which are v4sf type. Right?
SSE registers are v4sf only, but SSE2 registers (Pentium 4) are
v2df, v4sf, v16qi, v8hi, v4si, and v2di. I don't believe GDB supports
> For this reason I didn't touch the existing built in types which have
> the structure wrapping, but I introduced new ones to be used by
> AltiVec registers.
I would like to see us treat all SIMD registers in the same manner, not
just Altivec. Even though the packing and size will vary, the display
syntax should be consistent.