This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: Questions about GDB-MI Interface
- From: Andrew Cagney <ac131313 at cygnus dot com>
- To: Eli Zaretskii <eliz at is dot elta dot co dot il>
- Cc: chanskw at ca dot ibm dot com, gdb at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:41:07 -0400
- Subject: Re: Questions about GDB-MI Interface
- References: <Pine.SUN.3.91.1020425180255.22413F-100000@is>
> On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Andrew Cagney wrote:
>> It was added with much hesitation because there was real concern that
>> once a vaguely looking console mechanism was added, people would try to
>> use it instead of investing the time and resources needed to address the
>> problem of implementing a real console interface.
> What was envisioned as a solution for the problem at hand, namely, that
> any decent front-end to GDB must allow the user to type CLI commands?
My best answer is that it was envisioned to be fixed in 2.0. Several
alternatives were suggested but no decision was made. Apple has has
since, kind of, made the decision by comming up with a working solution.
Of the alternatives I remember:
- properly wrap the CLI up in an
MI command (what apple did).
Has problems with query() where
the CLI wants to prompt back
to the user.
- separate out the CLI from GDB
and have it as a separate MI
- not have a CLI