This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: [rfc] ``pc'' -> resume_addr?
- From: Michael Snyder <msnyder at redhat dot com>
- To: Andrew Cagney <ac131313 at cygnus dot com>
- Cc: gdb at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 17:13:29 -0700
- Subject: Re: [rfc] ``pc'' -> resume_addr?
- Organization: Red Hat, Inc.
- References: <3CB5F437.firstname.lastname@example.org>
Andrew Cagney wrote:
> GDB, in a number of places, refers to the ``pc'' - PC_REGNUM, frame->pc,
> read_pc(), write_pc(), ...
> I think this name choice was unfortunate. It is too easy for a
> developer to confuse ``pc'' with the hardware ``pc''.
> With this in mind, I'd like to propose a GDBspeak ``resume_addr''. It
> is the address of the first instruction that will be executed when the
> target resumes.
Under what circumstances is the address of the first instruction
that will be executed different from the hardware pc?