This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: gdbserver, remote serial protocol and endian issues
- From: Andrew Cagney <ac131313 at cygnus dot com>
- To: Paul Bartlett <paul dot bartlett at st dot com>
- Cc: gdb at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 22:48:23 -0400
- Subject: Re: gdbserver, remote serial protocol and endian issues
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
> In our case, the registers are not byte addressable
>> and need to be written variously as 8, 16 and 32 bit
>> quantities. Again, remote serial protocol does not
>> provide for access size definition.
I assume you mean something like a memory read at &foo only works if
done as a 16 bit operation by the remote target.
> This one is definitely a shortcoming in the remote protocol.
Proposals for an extension to the protocol that implement this have been
posted (search for e-mail from jtc). The memory attribute framework was
introduced in preparation for this.