This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: Getting rid of the symbol_ranges and aliases stuff
- From: Jim Blandy <jimb at redhat dot com>
- To: Daniel Berlin <dan at dberlin dot org>
- Cc: gdb at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: 05 Apr 2002 23:50:13 -0500
- Subject: Re: Getting rid of the symbol_ranges and aliases stuff
- References: <Pine.LNX.email@example.com>
Daniel Berlin <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> This is the live range splitting extensions to stabs stuff. It works by
> having multiple symbols that are aliases to a given symbol at a given PC.
> In effect, it uses multiple symbols to simulate DWARF2 location lists.
> It could be reimplemented in terms of location functions, cleanly.
> But since nothing publicly available generates the info, I can't do that
> as part of a LOC_COMPUTED and LOC_COMPUTED_ARG implementation.
> Nor do I think I should be required to.
You should just ignore the old LRS stuff. The Dwarf 2 location lists
should be single symbols with the LOC_COMPUTED address class with a
`read_variable' method which use the PC from the frame it recieves to
choose the right location expression.
I guess I don't see how the old LRS stuff is in your way.