Re: Thoughts? New chapter: ``Advanced Features''

> Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 23:16:50 -0500
> From: Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com>
>
> What do people think of creating a new chapter ``Advanced Features''
> and moving this stuff to there.

I'm not sure this is a good idea.  It makes sense to do this in a
manual that is divided into two large parts: a tutorial and the
``advanced'' part.  But the GDB manual is not like that: most of its
features are described outside the tutorial.  So having an advanced
chapter would mark those commands as being out of limits for
``plebeians'', which is not something I think we want to say.

> If we don't, I get the feeling that the GDB documentation will just
> continue to accumulate lots of small chapters

The manual in v5.1.1 has 28 chapters.  This is not too much (IMHO);
for example, Emacs has 32 chapters and 7 large appendices, i.e. 39
chapters altogether.

But if people feel 28 is too much, I don't mind restructuring the
manual into fewer chapters.  I don't think it would be very hard.