Re: When may I close a 5.1.1 PR?

Andrew Cagney writes:

> I'm just happy to see the problem and fix recorded.  Probably close it
> since I assume no one has any intention of fixing it on the branch.

That works for me.  I'll review some more of the open bugs and see
if they are fixed in HEAD now.

> I was thinking that it should just jump to the bug database.  However,
> looking around I've noticed that other projects have (for an equivalent
> page) used it to ``educate'' the reader as to how to submit a better bug
> report and where to find potential fixes..  I'm not sure we want to go
> down that path.

I like this idea.  We see a lot of reports that do not include the
target architecture or the version string.  Also it's very useful to
see what compiler the user built their program with.

It's a service to us if the bug reports are better to begin with.
It would be a service to the users if we say: if your gdb is version
4.18 or 5.0, then you should upgrade to 5.1.1 or the latest CVS version
before sending a letter at all.

Michael C