Re: GDB cvs won't build on AIX 4.1

-mminimal-toc is only available with gcc, so we might loose again, if someone
tries to build GDB with the native compiler.  It might be worthwile to add
-mminimal-toc if we are using gcc though, for performance reasons.

I have not been suggesting to revert the patch, but I was thinking along the
lines of (completely untested):

            # Do this only for native AIX builds

            # The GNU linker does not understand the -bbigtoc switch, which the
	    # native linker needs.
            hold_ldflags=$LDFLAGS
            AC_MSG_CHECKING(for the ld -bbigtoc flag)
            LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS} -Wl,-bbigtoc"
            AC_TRY_LINK(, [int i;], nativeld=yes, nativeld=no)
            LDFLAGS=$hold_ldflags
            AC_MSG_RESULT($nativeld)
            if test $nativeld = yes; then
               CONFIG_LDFLAGS="${CONFIG_LDFLAGS} -Wl,-bbigtoc"
            fi

in gdb/configure.in, adapted from a similar Solaris test, which should work
for all compiler/linker combinations.

--
Peter Schauer			pes@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de