Re: GDB cvs won't build on AIX 4.1

Andrew Cagney writes:

 > >> That was the problem.  See gdb/294.
 > >> http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gdb&pr=294
 > >

 > > Thanks for the pointer.  Would it be pointless then to post a patch
 > > that detected which version of GCC is in use, and whether the linker
 > > it uses accepts -bbigtoc?
 >

 > The oposite!  See Peter Schauer's comment - it would solve the problem.
 >
 > Andrew

Sorry for the late reply, but there is another way to solve that
problem which is to compile gdb passing the -mminimal-toc option to
gcc. This should be uniformly OK independently of the linker used.

There are also these options available, but I haven't tried them.

-mfull-toc
-mno-fp-in-toc
-mno-sum-in-toc

FWIW, using the GNU linker and reverting that patch I get this
error: ../../powerpc-ibm-aix4.3.3.0/bin/ld: invalid BFD target
`bigtoc'collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Elena