Re: Upcoming DWARF 3 and FORTRAN95 patches for 5.1.1 or 5.2?

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 06:43:21PM -0500, Jim Blandy wrote:
> > Another approach occurred to me just now that I wish I had thought of
> > when Daniel B.'s patch first appeared.  If the core of GDB could
> > define a structure of functions (resembling `struct cp_abi_ops',
> > `struct target_ops', etc.) that allowed a debug reader to provide its
> > own set of functions for finding variables, describing their locations
> > in English, and everything else we do with `enum address_class' now,
> > then that would make it easy and clean to use straight Dwarf 2
> > location expressions, without any translation into an allegedly
> > "neutral" representation, and without contaminating the core of GDB.
> >
> > (This would also allow us to move some odd HP-UX-specific stuff like
> > LOC_THREAD_LOCAL_STATIC out of the GDB core and into an HP-specific
> > module.)
>
> Yes!  Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!
>
> (I like it.  A lot.  We should discuss details of this.)
I could swear we did once, but maybe it's all in my head.
It's one of the things i was working on before i stopped working on gdb,
along with the type system rewrite (which is still on a branch, i never
got around to creating a branch for the former).
No, i have the remnants of a tree where i changed symbol lookup and
variable evaluation to go through the symbol readers through a high level
interface to "debug info".
It doesn't compile though (I never finished converting the stabs reader it
looks like), and it's based on gdb 5.0, so it's probably not worth tarring
it all up and throwing it somewhere.

--Dan