Re: [5.1] Re: po/POTFILES.in doesn't exist

Sorry about the long delay, I've been way behind in my GDB e-mailing
folders :-(

On Oct 14, 2001, Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com> wrote:

> cd /home/scratch/51/gdb/src/bfd && autoconf
> configure.in:8: AC_TRY_COMPILE was called before AC_ISC_POSIX
> configure.in:8: AC_TRY_RUN was called before AC_ISC_POSIX
> autoconf: Undefined macros:
> ***BUG in Autoconf--please report*** AC_FD_MSG

Which version of autoconf was this?

This last error is generally a symptom of under-quoted macro
invocations in configure.in or aclocal.m4.  Typical scenario is a
construct such as:

AC_FOO(AC_BAR(...))

The correct way to write this is:

AC_FOO([AC_BAR([...])])
       ^       ^   ^ ^

I.e., every argument of every macro should be enclosed in quotation
brackets.  Sometimes, you may get on without so much quoting, in the
hopes that the argument of the macro won't contain any active content
(i.e., no other m4 macro).  But, if any macro argument does, you may
observe this kind of problem.

As for the errors about AC_ISC_POSIX, they can't be helped.  There are
two macros called in bfd's configure that both want to be expanded
before any compilation takes place, but both of them do compiles
themselves.  So, one of them gets to be second and generate these
messages.