Re: [1.3.3] breaks serial i/o?

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 04:10:03PM -0500, William A. Gatliff wrote:
>I was recently working with Cygwin 1.3.2, doing remote serial
>debugging with an ARM Evaluator-7T board using gdb-5.0.  Everything
>was just peachy.
>
>Then I upgraded, and things got bad in a hurry.  :^(
>
>Cygwin 1.3.3 seems less stable serialio-wise than 1.3.2.  After
>several days of trying, I have yet to establish a complete serial
>connection with the board.  And 1.3.3 also seems to require/support
>only hardware flow control on the serial lines, where 1.3.2 did not.
>
>Suggestions, patches, signs of moral support, etc. would all be most
>graciously accepted.  Thanks for the help,

No suggestions, patches, or signs of moral support here.

You realize that you had 52 lines in your message and the majority of
your text dealt with the reason why you need to have your problem fixed,
right?

It is a curious phenomenon that people often seem to think that
describing the fact that they are having a problem (with the usual
accompanying sense of urgency!) is just the same thing as actually
describing the problem in some detail.  In the next expected step of
this ritual bug reporting technique, a cygwin guru is supoosed to
smack their heads and say "Serial I/O?!  You're right!  It's broken!
Here's a fix."  Unfortunately, that's not the way it works.

If you want this fixed in 1.3.4 then you'll have to provide a test case
which illustrates the problem or some kind of details that would help
someone track down the problem.  For instance, I believe that
http://www.sysinternals.com/ has a utility for monitoring serial I/O.
It might be useful to see what's going on with that utility to help
track down the cygwin problem.

Otherwise, if you can't provide details that would allow to debug this,
dropping back to 1.3.2 will be a short-term "solution" at best since
1.3.2 will disappear when 1.3.4 is released -- any day now.

cgf