Re: GDB and Kernel Object Display (KOD) info

Quality Quorum wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Christophe PLANAT wrote:
>
> > Hello World !
> >
> > I search any information concerning the Kernel Objet Display remote
> > protocol used by GDB for the 'set os myos' and 'info myos' commands.
> >
> > In fact an example is given in the GDB release (kod-cisco.c) but the
> > details concerning the protocol description (request/reply) of qKoI,
> > qKaI, qKaL are not very clear.
> >
> > Does anybody knows where I can find info, others example, KOD protocol
> > definition ?
>
> I suppose that unless you are working for cisco you have to invent
> your own protocol and command set in order to collect and display
> information relevant to your os.

Yes, the idea is that the kod-*.c module understands what your OS kernel
sends to you.  In most cases you will pack your information in the
special "K" packets of the remote protocol, so this will give you a
few restrictions like having to send things in ASCII etc.
There are a few routines around to pack/unpack integers and other values
that you can "steal" from the sample stub implementations I think.

The version of your kod-*.c module should match your kernel version as
it is the one that understands the kernel structures that will be
displayed and is responsible to format the output accordingly.

Note that I need to change the way one registers a kod module.  It is
currently a static table and that obviously has to change.  I will add
a registration call if you really want to use it.

There is a KOD window in Insight.  It is a very simple one, but if you
follow some simple rules when formatting your output you can use that as
well.

Fell free to ask me questions if you decide to use it.

Regards,
Fernando

--
Fernando Nasser