semihosting

Hi,

I am using eCos, GNU debugger to develop a custom-built board,
I know some other tools support a feature known as semihosting
to enable a target system which doesn't support various features
required by the ANSI C library to use the features of the host instead.
A simple example of this is the use of a host "window" to provide a
system console, to which the output of printf() etc can be written.
I tried the hello world program on EB40 board and got the following
results:

with the redboot installed on board, seems I can use prontf() to
write to console window, but without the redboot,even I use
angle and serial port instead of embeddedICE and jeeni, I could
not see any message on the console window by using printf().So
I am wondering whether there is any way to configure the GNU debugger,
so when I am using jeeni and embeddedICE(without redboot), the
semihosting function can be still supported. If there is, how
should I do?

btw: I was told to turn on semi hosting, issue the following command
after the "target rdi ..." command, "set semihosting_enabled 1".
I looked at the gdb help, could not find this command(and the semilar
command).

Thanks