Re: gdb and gdbserver compatability

Just FYI,  this list typically for the discussion of issues arrising
from the FSF's GDB.  In the below you're refering to Cygnus
distributions of GDB.

> However we now need to run a more recent version of LynxOS on the local
> machine but have found that that there are so many changes to LynxOS
> that we can not compile the corresponding version of gdb/gdbserver
> (4.17-gnupro-98r2) source code on the old target machine. We could get
> Lynx involved to modify their gdb source code so that it would build on
> the older target, but this may not be necessary if it was possible to
> have a 4.17 gdb working correctly with a 4.16 gdbserver.

In theory, this will work.  GDB tries to keep its self backward
compatible with remote stubs embedded in the field.

	Andrew

See also http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/