1) SIGTRAP issue :/ 2) libbfd

1) I recently upgraded glibc on one linux box to 2.2.2.  I built it from
source tarballs and now, for whatever reason, I cannot debug any
programs with gdb.  I wind up with something like the following:

(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/kw/a.out

Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
Cannot remove breakpoints because program is no longer writable.
It might be running in another process.
Further execution is probably impossible.
0x40001fa0 in ?? ()
(gdb)

Hrmm ok so maybe I left out a configuration option or two with the glibc
build?  If so, any thoughts?  I haven't any idea.
gcc here is ver. 2.95.3 & the kernel is 2.2.19.

2) libbfd is distributed with gdb and binutils.  I would like to rebuild
gcc, gdb, and binutils and I know that the three of them can be built
together.  Question is: will the differing versions of libbfd provided
with gdb and binutils potentially cause any issues, and if so how could
such issues be avoided?

Regards,
kw

--