Re: [Mingw-users] Re: _WIN32?

On Sat, 5 May 2001, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> If I were you, I would encapsulate everything as much as possible.
> Rather than make changes to 27 different gdb functions, create
> compatibility functions and put them in win32-nat.c, controlled by a
> defined (_WIN32) && !defined (__CYGWIN__) conditional.

It can also make sense to put this in libiberty, although that would
complicate the patch acceptance.  However, gettimeofday is a very
important function, and if MinGW indeed lacks it, its implementation
shouldn't be private to GDB, IMHO.

> We were talking about the fact that there may be places in gdb which
> are currently under _WIN32 control which should actually be under something
> like FILESYSTEM_USES_COLON control, or something like that.  Those are
> the things that should be set in configure.host, IMO.

I suggest to use the macros from include/filenames.h as much as
possible.  They are used in Binutils and elsewhere in GDB, so there
shouldbe no need to reinvent them.

I will shortly submit a patch that switches some of the #ifdef's to
use filenames.h.