Re: Adding support for core files to DJGPP

>> Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 09:43:39 -0500
>> From: David Taylor <taylor@cygnus.com>
>>
>> If you are designing the core file format for DJGPP, I would recommend
>> making it an ELF file.

Eli> It sounds like that: you are the second person (out of two who
Eli> replied) who suggested that.  Thanks.

For a host environment like DJGPP, I agree with the recommendation for
ELF crash dumps.

However, I wanted to mention that for embedded environments, it may be
better to use a custom crash dump format.  One requirement I had was I
had to write dumps to streaming media (in other words, no seeks).  I
suspect I could have written ELF dumps by doing two passes over the
system (one to compute the offsets, another to write the dump), it was
simpler to use a format designed for streaming from the get go.

        --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin
RedBack Networks