Re: using perl in gdbinit

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Edward Peschko wrote:

> I didn't see [Insight] inside gdb-5.0... is it integrated with the standard
> distribution or an add on?

If you normally download snapshots, you'll need to grab the "insight"
one. It's huge, unfortunately, because it still requires its own versions
of tcl, tk, incrTcl, tix.

If you do an anonymous cvs checkout from sources, you'll want the insight
module. You can add this right on top of any existing gdb checkout.

> > Of course, you are still leaving yourself at the mercy of gdb's human
> > readable output, so you'll need to parse gdb's output to do some things
> > well.
>
> hmm. that's what made me think of perl in the first place... one question
> though, how does the tk interface deal with the 'more'-like behaviour of gdb
> (ie: returns at the end of every page, etc.)

We turn the paging off entirely ("set height 0"). Fortunately, no one has
tried to turn it back on using the gui! :-)

Keith