Re: Mentioning PR's in ChangeLogs

> Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 13:58:58 -0500
> From: Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com>
>
> So anyone know what correct protocol is?  A ChangeLog should definitly
> standup on its own right vis:
>
>	* foo.c: Fix pr/12
>
> being definitly invalid.

Definitely.  standards.texi explains how to write ChangeLog entries.
An entry should always tell _what_ was changed and how.  It does _not_
have to say _why_.  So the above is simply backwards.

Instead, we should say something like this:

	 * foo.c: When `foo's value is 42, frobnicate `foobar' before
         calling `xyzzy'.

If we think it's important to mention the PR, we can say this:

	 * foo.c: When `foo's value is 42, frobnicate `foobar' before
         calling `xyzzy'.  This solves pr/12.

Btw, I think it's much more important to tell who reported the
problem, and do it in the ChangeLog, than to mention the PR number.
YMMV.