Re: C++ FAIL counts and the effect of demangler fix

> From: Daniel Berlin <dberlin@redhat.com>
> Date: 16 Feb 2001 03:57:11 -0500
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@delorie.com> writes:
>
> > > From: Per Bothner <per@bothner.com>
> > > Date: 15 Feb 2001 13:54:02 -0800

> > > I think that is unavoidable, given that Gcc 3 has a new and
> > > incompatible C++ ABI.  It is Bad if the current release of Gdb cannot
> > > debug code produced from the current release of Gcc.  Therefore, Gdb
> > > 5.1 should be released before or at the same time as Gcc 3.0 is
> > > released, and it needs to have at least tolerable support for the new
> > > C++ ABI.
[snip]

> > If there are important reasons why the next release of GDB should
> > support the new C++ ABI, then perhaps the GCC team should help Daniel
> > and others work on the GDB side of this support.
[snip]
> I don't agree with this.
> The GCC team is responsible for GCC, not GDB.

[Sorry for the long quotations, they are necessary in this case.]

Let me back up for a moment.  See the quotations above; it goes like
this:

   - Andrew says he doesn't want GDB's release schedule to be directly
     tied to GCC's releases (FWIW, I'm with Andrew on this one);

   - Per replies that it is very important that GDB _does_ release its
     new version with the new C++ ABI support together with GCC 3.0;

   - To this I say that if the GCC teams wants it so badly, they
     should come on board and help.

In other words, I also don't think that the GCC team should be
developing GDB.  What I am saying is that if they think our decisions
are not good enough for them, they have the opportuninty to make a
difference by contributing the code.