Re: Remote debugging over UDP

Andrew Cagney wrote:

> Momchil Velikov wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have added support for debugging remote targets
> > over UDP ("added support", that's cloned ser-tcp.c and tweaked it
> > a little bit).
>
> This patch, or variations of it turn up so often, I'm actually highly
> tempted to revisit this ``policy'' and simply commit something.  A
> banner message reporting that the feature isn't considered reliable when
> someone tries to use it being part of the commit :-/

When this came up once before, several people made the observation
that when operating on a LAN or with a single crossover cable, UDP
is basically as reliable as TCP, and that they had never actually
seen a reliability issue using UDP to debug their systems.  In fact,
if you've got bugs in the upper parts of your target's TCP stack,
UDP transport is going to seem like a really great idea!  So I think
we should add this to GDB.

For me, the tricky part of previous submissions was deciding how to
specify udp instead of tcp - we never could decide, and the patches
got dropped on the floor, sigh.

Stan