Re: Remote debugging over UDP

Momchil Velikov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have added support for debugging remote targets
> over UDP ("added support", that's cloned ser-tcp.c and tweaked it
> a little bit).
>
> Are interested in including that in GDB ?
> Do you mind changing the syntax the parameter NAME to
> serial.c:serial_open () to
> tcp:<host>:<port>, and
> udp:<host>:<port>
> for TCP and UDP connections, respectively ?

Hi,

This really needs to be added to an FAQ.  GDB's remote protocol doesn't
work reliably over UDP.  There are many cases where it is stateful
(assuming that a packet won't get duplicated).

Once the protocol is sorted out (perhaphs making it stateless) a udp
implementation would be accepted.
This patch, or variations of it turn up so often, I'm actually highly
tempted to revisit this ``policy'' and simply commit something.  A
banner message reporting that the feature isn't considered reliable when
someone tries to use it being part of the commit :-/

	Andrew