Re: Indent -gnu ?

   Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 13:41:58 +0100
   From: Pierre Muller <muller@cerbere.u-strasbg.fr>

      I want to format my PATCH for pascal extension before submitting it
   so I read that I should use GNU indent with -gnu option !

Hi Pierre, I do hope that you'll break your patch up in some smaller
chunks.  IMHO the fact that you sent it as a large chunk, was one of
the main reasons why it was ignored last fall.

     But I tried this on c-lang.h just to see
   and the result is that the current header file does not conform to
   indent output !

Looks like you're using a different `indent' than was used on the GDB
sources.  I think, this shows that defining the GDB coding standards
in terms of the output of `indent' is not really workable.  I've also
noticed that `indent' sometime really messes up the output, because it
gets confused by certain constructs.

     So my question is simply should I run indent on my files
   or should I send them without !

I'd say that avoiding gratuitous reformatting is more important than
running your changes through `indent'.  Thus, make sure that your
patches only contains changes for code you really changed, and that
these changes correspond to the GNU coding standards.

Mark