Re: core dump from GNU/Linux <sys/procfs.h>; Was: Build failure on Linux/i686

   Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 11:11:47 +1100
   From: Andrew Cagney <ac131313@cygnus.com>

   Mark Kettenis wrote:

   > This is the solution I proposed:
   >
   >    http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/gdb-patches/2000-q1/msg00103.html
   >
   > Note that you'll need to patch <sys/procfs.h> too, otherwise GDB will
   > segfault when you try to debug a multithreaded app!

   Um, can you expand on this a little?  (You may have already).

The first version of glibc that includes the threads debugging library
(libthread.so) will be 2.1.3, which has not been officially released
yet.  Since both Andreas and I are glibc developers we were among the
first to test a GDB that makes use of that functionality apart from
the people who actually implemented it.  It looks as if Ulrich Drepper
(the glibc maintainer) and Michael have let things go slighty out of
sync.  So without patches to both GDB and the glibc prereleases it
won't work.

   If there is a header file found in a standard GNU/Linux distribution
   that can cause GDB to dump core we're going to need some sort of evasive
   action.  Sigh.

That's what I'm trying to prevent :-)

Mark