Re: State of native LinuxPPC patches

On Jan 18,  2:57pm, Edward Swarthout wrote:

> > Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 11:18:55 -0700
> > From: Kevin Buettner <kevinb@cygnus.com>
> >
> > I got my patches working with the head of the development tree several
> > weeks ago.  (Actually, Gary Thomas deserves a lot of the credit.)
> > However there are a great many similarities between rs6000-tdep.c and
> > the ppclinux-tdep.c.  I would really like to make the common parts
> > truly common as well as revamp it so that it uses the gdbarch
> > machinery, but this'll take more time than I have at the moment.  So
> > it might be better for me to commit what I have so that linux/ppc is
> > supported in the Cygnus tree.  Also, the longer I let my stuff sit,
> > the more likely it is that certain global changes will break what I
> > have working already.  (Because these global changes won't have
> > happened to the linux/ppc stuff.)
> >

> Are these patches available in a sandbox somewhere?

I'd have to create some patches.  (This should be doable.)

> (Since there isn't native support yet, are they harmless enough to be
> released in cvs before being tested?)

I've been told by several people that my linux/ppc patches should be
integrated with the other ppc related code before being put into CVS.
The fear is that once in CVS, it won't get integrated properly.
(There have been ample examples of this happening in the past.)

> I have a LinuxPPC debug project I need to work on and I wanted to
> switch to the latest gdb snapshot before I did much gdb work.

I understand.  How soon do you need the patches?

I am scheduled to do some rs6000 work in a couple of weeks and I am
hoping to be able sneak some linux/ppc integration in...

Kevin