GDB and Virtual Machines

Hi.  I am new to GDB, but I am currently performing the daunting job of
investigating the use of GDB (and probably Insight) for debugging a proprietary
language (a domain specific language) that runs as interpreted "p-code" in a
proprietary virtual machine.  This is a scheme similar to the way Java runs.
This proprietary virtual machine runs on many different platforms so programs
are developed once and run unchanged on those platforms.  The virtual machine
operates in a similar manner to a real machine with registers, address space,
etc.

I am wondering if 1) anyone has any familiarity with a similar project that I
could be directed to and 2) if anyone has any advice on approaching such a
project.  Thanks!

Larry Cousin