Re: GDB on FreeBSD/Alpha

   Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 10:19:46 -0700
   From: "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>

   On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 01:09:45AM +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:
   > I've managed to add the necessary support for FreeBSD/Alpha to the
   > version of GDB in CVS (not checked in yet).

   Hi Mark,

   What version of GDB will have these bits?  5.0.1 or 5.1?  What are the
   current release engineering plans for GDB?

I'm working from the main branch, which will mean that FreeBSD/Alpha
support will be in GDB 5.1 (the same holds for the updated
FreeBSD/i386 support).  GDB 5.1 is scheduled for five months or so (no
promises of course).  There may be a 5.0.1 release to fix some
important bugs on supported platforms.

It wouldn't be hard to backport my work to the 5.0 branch, and I'm
willing to do that if you really cannot wait for 5.1.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if the GDB 4.18 that's in the FreeBSD
CVS tree would simply work if you apply my suggested fixes to the
compiler.  In that case, I think it would be wise to stick with GDB
4.18 for FreeBSD 4.x and import GDB 5.1 into the FreeBSD 5.x tree when
it's released.

Mark