Re: GDB & FreeBSD

Mark Kettenis wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I spent some time on reviving GDB on FreeBSD.  Not too difficult since
> it turns out that I can re-use a lot of code from the NetBSD port
> (thanks J.T. :-)).
>
> However, in doing so, I've probably killed support for older FreeBSD
> systems (I suspect that the same happened with NetBSD).  From looking
> at the FreeBSD CVS tree, FreeBSD 2.2 (which was released in March
> 1997) and up should be fine (I did my work on FreeBSD 3.4).  On older
> systems GDB will not compile.
>
> Is this acceptable?

By ``killed'' support did you completly delete it or just do changes
that require obvious tweeks?  Having it working on 2.x, 3.x and 4.x with
bit rot on 1.x is better than only working on 1.x/2.x.

I've also CC'd David O'Brien who, I suspect, is responsible for getting
the FreeBSD and GNU toolchanins unified.  He may have access to a 1.x
system and can access the damage.

I'd check it in along with a TODO entry mentioning the need to access
how hard it is to ``fix'' 1.x.

Thanks!

	Andrew