Re: PA64 configure issues

>>>>> Jeffrey A Law writes:

Jeff> PA32 and PA64 are radically different in a number of ways which make
Jeff> supporting both with a single toolchain very difficult/impossible.

	Geoff gave the background on 64-bit AIX support which can support
both modes with a single toolchain, defaulting to 32-bit mode.  This also
happens to be the way that the AIX product compilers operate, so the two
are consistent.

	The above line in your original message jumps out at me.  Are you
saying that you must build an entirely separate compiler for PA64?  Also,
you did not mention how HP's commercial toolchain operates/defaults.

	I would agree that defaulting to 32-bit mode, even on 64-bit
hardware, is the best choice when the hardware can support both modes.  If
the user needs to configure and build a completely separate toolchain for
64-bit mode, that is much more cumbersome than the AIX toolchain.  If HP's
toolchain defaults differently, I think that you need to consider
user-interface compatibility as well.

	I cannot tell if you are asking about which compilation mode to
choose as a default or which compiler to build as a default on a 64-bit
capable system (if that indeed is the case).

David
David Edelsohn                                      T.J. Watson Research Center
dje@watson.ibm.com                                  P.O. Box 218
+1 914 945 4364 (TL 862)                            Yorktown Heights, NY 10598