ui-out documentation

Is the ui-out and ui-file stuff documented anywhere?
I looked in gdbint.texinfo and didn't see anything.

Yesterday I had a brief window of spare time and looked into writing
">" and ">>" commands (e.g., "> FILE bt" would route the `bt' output
to FILE -- a somewhat bizarre syntax, but not wholly unlikeable).

I spent a bit of time looking at the ui-* code, but not enough time to
figure out how to make it do what I wanted.  And now, alas, my window
has closed.  It would be nice if somebody wrote documentation for this
part of the internals.  (Or, if it exists, please point me to it.)

Tom