Target Only debugging

Hi,

I am looking for the target only debugging solution
for my powerpc-ibm target.

Is it possible for me to built my code with some in built debug code from GNU
( It may be any plateform Unix or PC )

Now I should be able to download this code to target and debug using a terminal
through serial port.

This just may support some basic commands.

If this solution is not possible. Then what code is required to be downloaded to
the target
so it can communicate to the host GDB in PC x86 plateform

Thanks
Sudhanshu