Re: virtual and raw

On Apr 4,  3:17pm, Jim Blandy wrote:

> Am I correct in thinking that, if there is an x86 long double in
> memory, not in a register, then GDB is at present incapable of
> converting that value to a format it can understand?  That is, the
> virtual / raw conversion system is only set up to handle registers, so
> even though the exact same conversions could be usefully applied to
> values in memory, GDB doesn't know how to do them?

If you want to do an ``x/f someaddr'' where the format of the float
stored at someaddr is in some alternate format, I think you're out of
luck.

OTOH, if you tell gdb that there's a floating point register saved at
a particular address (by setting elements of saved_regs[] for the
frame in question appropriately in your foo-tdep.c file), then gdb
gets it right.