Re: Why does dejagnu use an old config.guess?

   Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 15:17:18 -0800 (PST)
   From: hjl@lucon.org (H.J. Lu)

   > "H.J. Lu" wrote:
   > >
   > > Hi,
   > >
   > > There are 2 config.guess in dejagnu-19991108.tar.bz2:
   > >
   > > #  find -name config.guess
   > > ./dejagnu/config.guess
   > > ./config.guess
   > >
   > > ./dejagnu/config.guess is older than ./config.guess. But it is the one
   > > got installed. Any particular reason to do that? It is very annoying
   > > since ./dejagnu/config.guess doesn't support the concurrent usage.
   >
   > FYI, Dejagnu included with GDB is probably best described as being in
   > maintaner mode - I don't believe that any one is doing doing significant
   > work on that version.  Consequently the general aproach is ``if it ain't
   > broke, don't fix it''.

   It is broken. I have been fixing it for years.

Dejagnu is somewhat of an oddball in having its own config.guess.  Jason
has already committed a copy of the toplevel config.guess, along with the
comment that it should probably grab the top-level version, just as GCC
does now.

But Andrew is correct in that dejagnu is effectively unmaintained.  Rob
Savoye was intending to make a new release "soon", but that was nearly
a year ago.  Given that it's a critical tool for maintenance, I'd sure
like to see someone take it up again and do a new baseline release.

								Stan