Re: Implimenting MIPS R4650 DWATCH register as hbreak hardware breakpoint

"M. David Gelbman" wrote:

> Anybody,
>
> I'm developing an application on a an IDT MIPS R4650 based board.  this
> MIPS CPU has a DWATCH register capable of breaking on a data read or
> write (or both).
>
> What must I do to the host portion of GDB to let it know my target is
> capable of implimenting a "hardware" breakpoint?  Further what must I do
> to modify my target GDB stub?
>
> I suspect the host part is simply a re-configuration of somthing in the
> .gdbini file.  I expect that the target stub needs to parse a new
> command in handle_exception() through the "target remote" protocol.  But
> I haven't yet found the magic words.

FYI,

J.T. Conklin <jtc@redbacknetworks.com> recently posted a proposal (and
patch) to gdb/remote.c that adds hardware breakpoint suport.

At present the proposed protocol changes are accepted but the patch
needed some minor revisions.

Could I suggest finding the thread ``Patch to add breakpoint extension
to remote protocol'' on the gdb-patches mailing list. (Am I foolisly
assuming that gdb-patches is archived?)

	Andrew