keeping commands out of the history

Hi,

I'm playing with emacs's gud.el to make it display some stuff from
gdb in other buffers.  The problem is that the commands used to get the
data go into gdb's history, which is not intended.  I looked for some
option for temporarily bypassing command history, but didn't find anything.

It seems that DDD is able to do this.  I looked at its source for a bit,
but didn't see anything special it's doing.

Does anyone know if there's a way to do what I'm talking about, or how
DDD seems to manage to do it?

TIA,

Todd