symtab/2254: Symbol loading in GDB too slow

>Number:         2254
>Category:       symtab
>Synopsis:       Symbol loading in GDB too slow
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          change-request
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Sun Apr 15 20:48:01 BST 2007
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Thomas.McGuire@gmx.net
>Release:        6.6
Symbol loading in GDB seems to very inefficient. This is very noticeable in large C++ applications with many libraries, like some KDE apps.

Attaching GDB to such a process takes about 5 minutes on my PC, mainly due to symbol loading.
Although I only have a 1.8GHZ CPU with 384MB RAM, this should be faster.

Partly, the slowness is caused by a lot of swapping due to my low memory. I think GDB should use much less memory for the symbol tables if that is possible.

Additionally, the symbol loading is too slow. Either it could be fixed by optimizing the code or by introducing a on-disk symbol cache.