Re: fortran/1880: display of part of an array

The following reply was made to PR fortran/1880; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Fred Krogh <fkrogh@mathalacarte.com>
To: woodzltc@sources.redhat.com, gdb-prs@sources.redhat.com,
	nobody@sources.redhat.com, woodzltc@sources.redhat.com,
	gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: fortran/1880: display of part of an array
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 21:27:21 -0700

 woodzltc@sources.redhat.com wrote:

 >Synopsis: display of part of an array
 >
 >Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->woodzltc
 >Responsible-Changed-By: woodzltc
 >Responsible-Changed-When: Mon Jun 27 03:12:31 2005
 >Responsible-Changed-Why:
 >    I'd like to take up this if some more information could be provided.  Thanks.
 >State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
 >State-Changed-By: woodzltc
 >State-Changed-When: Mon Jun 27 03:12:31 2005
 >State-Changed-Why:
 >    I don't have much experiecne in ddd.  If you could give me the problem description in gdb, I am very willing to take some looks into this.
 >
 >    Another suggestion is: you can try using the latest GDB cvs to see whether your problem could be reproduced.
 >
 >    Cheers
 >    - Wu Zhou
 >
 >http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gdb&pr=1880

 Hi --
     I'm certainly happy to see someone with an interest in this.  First
 of all ddd is working sort of.  If I move the mouse pointer too much in
 the source window it crashes and this is easy to make happen.   But if I
 don't move the mouse too much I can still get useful work done.

 The gdb problem is that I simply don't seem to have any way to print
 dummy arrays in Fortran.  Thus if an array X() is passed into a
 subroutine and I want to print locations X(3:7) there seems no way to do
 this without going up a level and doing

 p x(3)@5

 Things are even worse for printing an arbitrary region of a two
 dimensional array.
 I'm frequently in a position where I want to display small parts of very
 large arrays.  If I could do this in gdb, I think there is a reasonable
 chance I could figure out how to accomplish the same thing in ddd.

 Let me know if you would like more input from me.

 Many thanks,
     Fred