pending/1949: attaching to a running process then quitting leaves stale gdb processes

>Number:         1949
>Category:       pending
>Synopsis:       attaching to a running process then quitting leaves stale gdb processes
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Wed May 25 15:58:01 UTC 2005
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     gnu@greglaw.net
>Release:        6.3
I've noticed that when I attach gdb to a running process, then quit, there is a stale copy of gdb left.  The process is in state T (stopped or ptraced).

I don't see this on fedora or on Debian, only on gentoo.

(Apologies for the bad category; I couldn't find anything that seemed even vaguely relevant for this issue!)
>How-To-Repeat:
Install a recent gentoo.  Make a very simple program that does does "while (1) {}".  Execute said program, then attach gdb using the said program's pid.  Then type 'q' to quit gdb.  Do ps -x, and you'll see a copy of gdb in the process list.