Re: gdb/1922: `gdb -p' fails on FreeBSD unless procfs is mounted

The following reply was made to PR gdb/1922; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Mark Kettenis <mark.kettenis@xs4all.nl>
To: das@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc: gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com, marcel@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: Re: gdb/1922: `gdb -p' fails on FreeBSD unless procfs is mounted
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 23:56:47 +0200 (CEST)

    Date: 19 Apr 2005 05:13:35 -0000
    From: das@FreeBSD.ORG

    Invoking `gdb -p' on FreeBSD without procfs mounted causes gdb to
    crash because it can't find the process' executable file.
    Subsequently, the target process is killed.  There are really two
    problems here:

    [...]

    Note that it isn't acceptable to simply say ``use procfs'', since
    procfs is disabled by default on FreeBSD due to its reputation for
    security problems.  I realize that there are other things in gdb
    that rely on procfs, but failure to attach to processes is perhaps
    the most glaring problem.

 Can's say "use procfs" to you folks while I'm actively working on
 eliminating it from OpenBSD can I? ;-).

 Anyway, I've checked a patch to avoid the internal-error.  You'll find
 it attached to the bug report in gnats.  I'm looking into your
 suggested alternative.  Unfortunately 6.0-CURRENT-SNAP002 didn't
 include the new stuff yet.  But I'll manage to get a completely
 current system anyway.

 Thanks for the report!

 Mark