Re: gdb/1349: Update src/expect to 5.39

The following reply was made to PR build/1349; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain <mec@shout.net>
To: gdb-gnats@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: gdb/1349: Update src/expect to 5.39
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:27:35 -0400

 Here's what I've got in my test bed.

 First my test bed is native i686-pc-linux-gnu, so it's limited.

 I test with the official release versions:

   tcl 8.4.3
   expect 5.38
   dejagnu 1.4.3

 In January 2003, I compared this T+E+D stack with the T+E+D stack
 from sourceware cvs.  They compared fine, no significant differences.

 I am upgrading to expect 5.39 soon.  When I do the upgrade I will
 also compare against sourceware T+E+D again and report back.

 I would rather do this in the winter, when I have to pay for heat
 anyways, but what the heck.  :)

 I diff'ed expect 5.38 versus expect 5.39.  There are some innocuous
 bug fixes, including a 64-bit bug fix.  So at least one person is
 using expect on at least one 64-bit system (PA-RISC 2.0 with
 --enable-64bit).  There is nothing that says "haha, we are going
 to break a bunch of syntax and screw dejagnu users".

 So I'm feeling pretty good about upgrading my test bed, and I think
 it will be okay to upgrade sourceware as well.

 BTW the vintages on everything in sourceware are:

   tcl      8.4.1       # current is 8.4.3
   expect   1998-06-15  # damn!
   dejagnu  1.4.3       # current is 1.4.3