gdb/708: Can't build 5.3 branch (and probably trunk).

>Number:         708
>Category:       gdb
>Synopsis:       Can't build 5.3 branch (and probably trunk).
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Sep 17 16:58:01 PDT 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     ac131313@redhat.com
>Release:        5.2.90_20020917
>Environment:

> On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 06:03:14PM -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:
>
> > Suggest grabbing a snapshot from the latest (5.3) branch:
> > ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/gdb/snapshots/branch/.  That way we know
> > it is fixed in the next GDB release.
>

> OK, I grabbed gdb+dejagnu.tar.bz2 which appears to be symlinked to
> gdb+dejagnu-5.2.90_20020917.tar.bz2.  I am getting a configure error:
>
> checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
> configure: error: source directory already configured; run make
> distclean there first
> configure: error:
> .../../../../gdb+dejagnu-5.2.90_20020917/dejagnu/example/calc/configure
> failed for example/calc
> Configure in /export/home0/software/build/build-gdb/dejagnu failed,
> exiting.

I think the snapshot (and hence the release :-() process is leaving a stray file behind. (I also recall someone mentioning this before :-( ).

Look for config.cache, config.log, Makefile, or similar.

The work around is to delete the dejagnu directory from the unpacked source tree.

Andrew