This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GDB project.
Re: [PATCH 1/8] Add --with-system-zlib in bfd
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, GDB <gdb-patches at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 09:56:09 -0700
- Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/8] Add --with-system-zlib in bfd
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20150326155711 dot GA10088 at gmail dot com> <20150331061337 dot GA30996 at vapier> <CAMe9rOpRauO-5fxuV5bZkUC0tMbbi0tCTCmGQ0GEe1NXEa1dYw at mail dot gmail dot com> <20150331164107 dot GI25224 at vapier>
On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 9:41 AM, Mike Frysinger <email@example.com> wrote:
> On 31 Mar 2015 03:10, H.J. Lu wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 11:13 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>> > On 26 Mar 2015 08:57, H.J. Lu wrote:
>> >> --- a/bfd/configure.ac
>> >> +++ b/bfd/configure.ac
>> >> -# Link in zlib if we can. This allows us to read compressed debug sections.
>> >> -# This is used only by compress.c.
>> >> -AM_ZLIB
>> >> +# Use the system's zlib library.
>> >> +zlibdir=-L../zlib
>> >> +zlibinc="-I\$(srcdir)/../zlib"
>> >> +AC_ARG_WITH(system-zlib,
>> >> +[AS_HELP_STRING([--with-system-zlib], [use installed libz])],
>> >> +zlibdir=
>> >> +zlibinc=
>> >> +)
>> > this is wrong. the 3rd arg is whether the option was specified, not that the
>> > option was disabled. you need to check $withval is equal to "no" (or not equal
>> > to "yes").
>> That is what gcc/configure.ac has and it works for me.
> then gcc/configure.ac is also broken. whether "it works for me" is
> irrelevant -- simply read the code and you'll see it's wrong. if you
> pass --without-system-zlib the code wrongly behaves as if you passed
> i mention this because it is breaking my test builds. not that that
> really matters -- the code is clearly incorrect.
We should fix zlib.m4 and use it in gcc/configure.ac.
FWIW, I tested with -with-system-zlib and without --with-system-zlib.